study in china @

How to Get a Proper Visa to Study in China

The very first thing you need to do before leaving for studying in China is to get an X Visa (Student Visa). Here are the steps:

1: Receive original Admission Letter and JW202 form from your Chinese university.
2: Do physical examination and get your physical Examination Record
3: Go to the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate to apply for the X/F/L Visa

study in china @

Receive Original Admission Letter and JW202 Form

Once your application is accepted by the university, your school will send you by courier (TNT, DHL, UPS and EMS etc) a document package containing: original JW202 Form and Admission Letter. In addition, you will need to submit the original documents of these two documents along with other required documents to the nearest Chinese consulate or embassy to apply for your X visa.

The JW202 form is an indispensable document required by Chinese embassy for applying X visa. Every JW202 form has its unique code which is issued by the Chinese Ministry of Education (MOE), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), the Ministry of Public Security (MOP) and local governments. Thus there is no use if you download a JW202 form and fill it by yourself.

The Chinese embassy will only accept the JW202 form after the following procedure: 
1. The form must be filled by your university in China in a formal and official way and also stamped and signed by the university chancellor.
2. The form must be submitted by the university to the local representative authorities of MOE and Chinese government for further approval. The above authorities will stamp the JW202 form in 1-2 weeks if it has passed the verification process.

Please, Ask Our Support Team Or your university if you still haven’t received the JW202 form when the starting date is approaching.

Physical Examination

You can click  to Download FOREIGNER-PHYSICAL-EXAMINATION-FORM.pdf (the foreigner’s physical examination form)

Check the website of your nearest Chinese Embassies or Chinese Consulates for details.

Note: You will also need the origin document of physical examination record to apply for a residence permit after your arrival in China. So be sure to take the physical record with you while coming to China.

Chinese visas are classified based on your purpose for being in China, such as tourism, education, or employment. For international students who intend to study in China for longer than 6 months, an X visa is the most secured choice.

Apply for an X/F Visa

X visa (student visa) are issued to those coming to study for a full progam. The other two categories of Visa which are appropriate for international students are the F visa and the L visa.

F visa (usually known as a business visa) is issued to those who are invited to China for a visit for either:
An investigation, a lecture, to do business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges, short-term advanced studies or internship for a period of no longer than six months.
Please do not apply for this type of visa for long term education in China. Practically, Chinese Exit-Entry Administration Bureaus usually regard an F visa holder as a business visitor. In addition, it doesn’t offer Residence Permit foreigners holding an F visa.

Apply for an L Visa

L visa (tourist visa) is issued to those coming to China for sightseeing, visiting family or friends, or for other personal affairs.
However, it is better for you to apply for an X visa for studying in China. Similarly, it is only by holding an X visa that will ensure you to get a residence permit from local government which allows you to stay in China legally. If you cannot receive the original Admission Letter and JW202 Form before the starting date of your new semester, you can apply for an L visa instead.

Please be sure to contact Our Support Team or your university in advance to make sure there will not be any problem. According to current regulations and laws in China, the option of using an L visa to study in China; is only available for students from North America, South America, Europe, East Asia and South East Asia etc. Consequently, it will cause you some trouble to use L visa if you blindly apply for it. Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of using an L visa or else, you may get an expulsion because of no Residence Permit.

For those who come to study in China with an L visa:
Our Support Team and your university staffs may help you do a visa conversion at the local police station when you arrive at school.

Documents needed for visa application:
  •  A valid passport with at least six months remaining validity and at least one blank visa page in it;
  •  Chinese visa application form: accurately, completely, and clearly filled out and signed.
  •  Photo: one recent passport photo (2×2 inch)
  •  Original and photocopy of Admission Notice (issued by the university in your offer package)
  •  Original and photocopy of JW202 form (issued by the university in your admission package)
  •  Visa fees (Fees vary from country to country)

The exact materials needed for a
Student visa application vary from country to country. Other relevant application materials requested by visa officials may include:

Method of application and time for processing
for Student visa


  •  All applicants can submit by themselves
  •  In addition, applicants can entrust someone or a travel agency to submit on his or her behalf
  •  Applicants in some countries can apply visa by postal service as well.

You may be required to go to the Chinese Consulate General for an interview if the Chinese Consulate General deems it necessary.

Visa processing time for Student visa:

Regular pick-up time is on the fourth working day. For express service, visa will be ready for collection on the third working day. For rush service, one should submit application before 12:00 noon and visa is ready for collection anytime.
It may vary according to countries